Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sophistication and an Excerpt

Last night, it was just me, my laptop, and a half-jelly jar of iced-down, cheap white wine. And a small wolf spider, but I showed him the door pretty quickly.

I was polite, though. I do have some class.

And since I need to get back to it, still having 25 pages to go and only three days to write them in, I'll just leave you with another random excerpt from last night's writing.



Right at noon, there was another knock at the door, and I flung it open, expecting Angela. Instead, Chance was standing on the other side. 

The bruises on the left side of his face had started their fade from purple to a sickish greenish-brown, but his right eye was still swelled nearly shut and sported an impressive a shiner. There was also a piece of tape on the bridge of what was probably a painful broken nose. He smelled like new clothes and there were still fold creases in his jeans and black t-shirt.

He gave me a little half-smile. “How’s it going?”

I was shocked to see him and my heart automatically did a happy little leap in my chest. But wait, that was wrong. I was also mad. I mean, really, here I’d rescued the guy and he hadn’t even swept me up in his arms and carried me out to the getaway car, much less said “thank you” or “I’m sorry I almost killed you with a lamp.” 

And now he had the nerve to just swing by and ask me how it was going?

“Fine.” I deliberately kept my response cool and his attempt at a smile dropped away.

“Can I come in?”

I shrugged. “Suit yourself.” I stepped back and let him walk past me into the room. 






What happens next? Well, I know about the next five pages or so, and after that, I'm not sure. But there's only one way to find out...

Back to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment